Been a busy week here, we’re taking care of a stray German Shepard until we can find it a home. :/. That said, it’s May 4th, Star Wars day(as in… “May the Fourth be with you”), and I thought it would be cool to check how the Twins fared on Star Wars release days.
- Star Wars(VI) was released May 25th, 1977 – on that day the Twins played a double-header against the Boston Red Sox. The Twins won both 13-5, and 9-4 respectively.
Top performers: Game One(13-5) – Rod Carew had four singles and a double, Lyman Bostock(2 doubles), Larry Hisle(5 RBIs, all with 2 outs), Larry Hisle, Dan Ford mashed home runs. Game Two(9-4) – Rod Carew(1 RBI), Lyman Bostock(2 walks, 1 RBI), Glenn Adams(3 RBI) with two hits each.
- The Empire Strikes Back(V) was released May 21st, 1980 – on that day the Twins took the field against the Chicago White Sox, and won 3-2. Despite giving the Sox a run in the 9th, the Twins prevailed.
Top performers: John Castino had 4 hits, and Jose Morales had two of his own, including a HR. Geoff Zahn pitched 9IP/7H/2R/2ER/4BB/2K finishing the game in 2 hours and 33 minutes – 30 minutes longer than Empire.
- Return of the Jedi(VI) was released on May 25th, 1983 – the Twins played the Baltimore Orioles that night, winning 7-4 with the 4 run second inning being the difference.
Top performers: Kent Hrbek(2-5, 4 RBI), Bobby Mitchell(2-5, 1 RBI), Gary Gaetti(3-4, 1 RBI).
- The Phantom Menace(I) was released May 19th, 1999 – the Twins played the Seattle Mariners and were 5-hit shutout in a 7-0 loss.
Top performers: Chad Allen(2-3, SB).
- Attack of the Clones(II) was released May 16th, 2002 – the Twins destroyed the Kansas City Royals 14-5 with 18 hits! Another double filled Twins/Star Wars night, as Jay Canizaro, Denny Hocking, David Ortiz, Bobby Kielty, and Brian Buchanan tallying two baggers. Ex-Twin Chuck Knoblauch went 0-3, with a walk and two stolen bases.
Top performers: Torii Hunter(4-6, 2 HR, 4 RBI), Jacque Jones(2-6, HR, 2 RBI), Cristian Guzman(HR, 1 RBI), Tom Prince(2-4, HR, 3 RBI). Kyle Lohse(4), Jack Cressend(1), Bob Wells, and Mike Trombley(4) only gave up nine hits through 9 innings.
- Revenge of the Sith was released May 19th, 2005 – the Twins matched up against the Toronto Blue Jays that day(first non-night game), winning 4-0 on a 7 hitter by starter Joe Mays.
Top performers: Michael Cuddyer(1-4, 2B, 2 RBI), Mike Redmond(2-4, 2 RBI), Joe Mays(9 IP/7H/0R/0ER/0BB/2K).
We all lost the night Phantom Menace was released(the jokes write themselves…), but all in all, the Twins play really well on Star Wars release nights(5-1). The Force Awakens opened December 18th, 2015, Rogue One December 16th, 2016, and The Last Jedi is set to open December 15th, 2017 – but Episode IX returns to a May release – the 24th in 2019. I predict a win! May the 4th be with you. :).